Monday, June 29, 2009

Dune - revisited

Now I’m serious…

About this whole sci-fi thing.

I’ll prove it.

I read Dune – “considered by some to be the greatest science fiction novel of all time.”

Was it?

Sure… I don’t think reading one (or a handful) of sci-fi books really makes me qualified to judge though. I like this science fiction genre – speculations on the future based on actuality (to put it simply). It helps to compare it to fantasy which is not based on reality or any relation to it. So here we have an entire genre devoted to exploring an imaginary yet probable vision of the future. Who could resist the curiosity it induces?

Mere curiosity?

Of course not – my real motivation is always design based. I want to know what could be – and study fantastic and elaborate interpretations of the future in hopes of expanding my limited perspective of the now.

Take Dune for example – I LOVED the stillsuits – a technological innovation of the sand dwellers that enabled them to reclaim their body moisture. From the moment they were first introduced I can’t get them out of my head – I’ve spent several random distracted moments thinking about them and how it would actually work. Could we use these now? What about developing countries with limited or no access to water?

Always wondering…

No comments: