Thursday, June 18, 2009

Food, Inc.



Probably one of the best "social justice/cause specific" documentaries I've seen in its clarity and thoughtfulness.

Some specific highlights:

- a closer, more personal, look at the relationship between corporations and individuals

- highlighted the importance of consumer choice (motivating large corporations like Walmart to change) and how we vote at least three times a day with what we choose to eat, buy, etc.

- approached deeper issues such as motivation and purpose behind the development of food

- challenged the idea of cost in a holistic way

- covered multiple issues surrounding the industrialization of food including world hunger, labor, etc.

Great movie - I'd definitely see it again or host a screening!

3 comments:

Marie said...

I want to see it, but am sort of scared at the same time. Sometimes living in the land of naivety is kinda nice. Once you move, you can't go back. Can I watch this movie and still enjoy drinking Crystal Light and eating Driscoll's strawberries? :)

Marie said...

Will this movie put Devin out of a job?

niKnox said...

Marie - I don't think it will make you feel guilty. It really acted more as an overview of the all the issues involved. But I felt like it didn't tell you how to choose - more just reinforced to know what you choose. I didn't change my eating habits after seeing it. I really was so impressed with the movie in how they communicated and it didn't seem as emotionally driven as others. But maybe b/c I've been around it (especially here in Berkeley) I am not as sensitive to it?? I don't know - hence the reason you should see it and let me know what you think!