Thursday, August 13, 2009

Vertigo


Tonight a few friends and I went to watch the Alfred Hitchcock film Vertigo at the Cal Berkeley Pacific Film Archive. I did not know anything about the film aside from a short trailer I found on YouTube. The film's plot completely surprised me - I am not an "old" movie fan so my response could be purely naive - but I was very impressed with the cleverness of the writing, directing, and acting. Nearly two hours after watching the film, I am still recovering from shock over the ending.

Aside from the things already mentioned - I also noticed how much HASN'T changed since the 1950s - like pumps (high heeled shoes) and business suits, wallpaper designs (large patterns are all the rage right now), blankets with satin or silk edging, stainless steel teapots, etc. The most noticable change (filming technology aside) was the automobiles. In general, it seems that behaviorally people seem pretty consistent - but technology seems to cause the greatest amount of change in the least amount of time. Technology and jeans. Everyone in the film wore a suit, slacks or dress/skirt because jeans hadn't become mainstream yet. Oh how jeans have transformed our day to day clothes!

2 comments:

Amanda Flagg said...

I don't think I could live without my jeans... Although greasers and rockabilly chicks did wear jeans in the mid 50's. But never professionals!

I find it funny how so much of the past styles are finding their way back into today's mainstream. Like, have we really ran out of clothing design? We really need to bring back those weird Kanye West sunglasses?

I love the 50's. So much in fact, that I'm a 50's pinup model in my spare time! I wish we could all revert back to those styles and mannerisms. Just for maybe... Half a fashionable decade ;)

Unknown said...

Hey you have give such nice interesting informatpon about it....
thanks for informing us....
glucosamin