Monday, June 15, 2009

Goodness Gracious...

Great balls of fire. Holy Fire that is. I recently finished my first novel by Bruce Sterling - a science fiction author known for his futuristic visions. This book had genetically and electrically altered dogs that served as animal companions as well as machine servants. It is set in the 2090s - to a place where science and biology have progressed into mind boggling (but not altogether surprising) ways. Life extension treatments are available to those that can afford them - treatments that "rejuvenate" blood cells, organs... that extend life well into the triple digits. Most people eat scientifically composed food like substances that deliver just the exact amount of vitamins, minerals and nutrients required - animals and plants only consumed by those less fortunate or far less educated. Buildings have lighting systems that imitate the sun. People can build virtual palaces to store their memories, experiences and wealth. Translators in the form of earrings and necklaces allows people to speak their native tongue to all and understand any language...

Though the book had impressive and believable technological innovations (it was written in 1996) - the plot failed to impress me. It had so much potential - an elderly lady undergoing a life extension treatment that gives her a second chance to re-live the youth she never dreamed of... yet I found it's actuality to be surprisingly underdeveloped and shallow. I forced myself to finish reading it - my curiosity unrelenting even as it approached unavoidable disappointment.

I am hoping his latest book, The Caryatids, is far more developed. One of my favorite blogs, Worldchanging, says "The Caryatids is my favorite of Bruce's novels since Holy Fire, and frankly one of the best science fiction books I've read in years. It's a book redolent with not only the future, but the concerns of a particular kind of future that is very much of interest to those of us engaged with worldchanging work."

Hum... We'll see. I am trying to add some futuristic sci-fi into my non-fiction mix before grad school completely takes over my brain. Any suggestions??

No comments: