Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Fish Eggs and Bracelets

This is from last week… but it is too good to not share. Last week I tried fish eggs. And it was by accident too. LA is FULL of sushi places… and my co-workers love it. Every Friday we “younger” people go out for lunch and they really wanted to try this more authentic Japanese sushi place… so I willingly agreed. I couldn’t find anything on the menu that I could eat (AKA that was cooked) so I finally just pulled the server aside and asked for some simple California rolls. I was confident I would like those. They arrived… covered in tiny bright orange balls. I had no idea what these were so I took one bite of my food and asked a co-worker. She laughed really hard when she saw my face. “Fish eggs… are they always this orange?” Apparently they are… and they are crunchy too… but I just couldn’t get myself to mentally accept this so I didn’t eat another bite. Oh well, it was worth the experience.

Now for the bracelets… this one will take more imagination to understand. I got on the bus last week, somewhat perturbed b/c the bus was a half hour late, to look up and find a man sitting directly across from me. It was no ordinary man. He was tall, with cut off jean shorts, and dreads… and his arms were covered in those huge plastic bracelets… all the way up his arms, past his elbows. They are the kind of bracelets that you give to your kids… huge, plastic, pastel colored… and to top it off he had attached small stuffed animals to them, which hung down from his arms on strings. I so badly wanted to stare but just couldn’t be that rude… so I spent awhile using my cell phone to discreetly take a picture. I still look at it sometimes. I really think this was God’s way of trying to cheer me up b/c I frequently struggle with bad attitudes and traffic. He has quite a sense of humor sometimes.

No comments: