Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Drive to Work


This morning as I stepped outside, the air was unusually crisp... it felt as though a mist covered my skin as I walked, yet there was no rain. (And hasn't been for months now- the usual LA summer.) Something about the weather just before a rain creates a strange feeling of excitement... although the clouds cover the sky in a blanket of gray- I am oddly excited to be outside, on the way to work.

One good thing about at least an hour commute... I get to be outside more :) Today is one of those very rare days in which I get to drive the car so it will shorten my commute a little. To get to my office I have to drive over the Hollywood Hills... and although these hills aren't anything compared to mountains, they are still some massive hills... massive enough that sometimes the weather on one side is different from the weather on the other. We live on the valley side of the hills so it is typically hotter and drier... while the ocean side is always cooler, with a breeze and heavy fog (especially in the mornings). Today it seems the ocean side slid right over the hills... because both sides were the same- cloudy, the air heavy with moisture. For somebody who grew up in Colorado, the Hollywood Hills aren't really that impressive, but today they seemed more alive as though something about the moisture in the air awakened some vitality in them that the dry heat seemed to dull. There is something so comforting about the hills... the bushes and trees... the nature. Its like taking a long sip of a cool refreshing drink, before heading back down into the city. I wish I had time to pull over and just soak it in some more, but I was about to be running late already and the cars behind me are starting to catch up.

2 comments:

jill m said...

i love your thoughts.

lgraves said...

nik, you are a wonderful writer.