Monday, February 20, 2006

One Year Anniversary

Our one year anniversary was yesterday! I can't believe how fast the year has gone... and how much has changed. To celebrate, we didn't have much time or money, so we decided to get a hotel room downtown and explore the city some more. I know it doesn't sound too romantic but... who knows how long we'll live here and there is so much here that we haven't yet gotten a chance to experience. We started out by stopping by the Disney Concert Hall two hours before the next concert and seeing if we could get some last minute discounted tickets. They had about 20 seats still open so we could snag two seats. It was an awesome experience, listening to pieces by Beethoven and Stravinsky while being in a beautiful space. The picture below shows Kevin walking to the ticket booth.
The next picture (I hate how it didn't turn out, but the story is good so I have to show it anyways) is of the Toy Distict in LA. Not a good area to be walking around late at night. We ended up there on accident trying to find some Japanese restaurant I had read about in a book... and walked by probably hundreds of carboard boxes and tents. This picture isn't the most descriptive because we took it as we were leaving the area (we were a little uncomfortable) but in the cardboard box on the right is the somebody's home. I've never seen anything like it, in the United States, that is. The picture below is where we actually ended up for dinner after trying out four different restaurants. The Japanese one in Little Tokyo had a huge line, and after waiting an hour and being nowhere near being seated, we left. It ended up taking us another hour to find another restaurant anyways, but oh well, we got a good view. We shared a meal at the LA Prime Restaurant on the 35th floor of some famous hotel (yes I already forgot the name and don't want to look it up right now).
We stayed at a very trendy hotel in downtown for a discounted price because we stayed on a sunday night (I got monday off work for President's Day). Yes that is a glass window in the shower to the bed. Fun times.
Room service in the morning. A first for us.
Us standing outside the hotel in front of a palm tree.
Today we decided to head to Hollywood before coming home because they are having an Oscar display before the big event happens March 5th. There are signs for it everywhere all over the city. They had an Oscar there that you could hold and get a picture taken, so here's Kevin, get his first Oscar for... most creative idealist of futuristic cultural values. Whatever.
Thats it. I love posting pictures, it allows me to pretend that you all are here with us, sharing these experiences. We miss you all a lot!

5 comments:

jill m said...

yeah for anniversaries and staying in the cool hotel. the part that made me laugh was mentioning the restaurant you had read about in the book...kv always loves your traveling books...:) congratulations!!

niKnox said...

haha... yeah I was surprised he actually let me suggest something from the book... downtown is so wierd here- its almost abandoned, especially after 5pm. everybody goes to the sunset strip and hollywood. so the only restaurant options we had were ones we could find in hotels. thats why it took us forever, some of them were so high society we didn't make it too far inside the door :)

Marie said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY (late)!!!

Sarah said...

Nikki,

Cool site. Nice pics. I love reading about all your fun adventures in LA. I wish we could travel and come and visit you two. I miss you guys so much. We had fun with your bro when he came to visit. Brandon is hanging with him again over Spring Break. Love ya'll!

Heather said...

Hi Nikki,
Heather here, Correnta is my Alias name. :)
I enjoyed touring your blog. I love pictures too, although I rarely take time to post them, I should get on that. :)
Anyway, you're welcome to stop by my blog any time.