Friday, February 17, 2006

Medical Scam

I went to the eye doctor yesterday, for my second exam this month. In the winter, I always have really dry eyes... so dry that sometimes I can't wear contacts for days at a time. It seems worse in LA, but I contributed that to working on a computer all day and all week. Well this eye doctor is either determined to fix that problem or a great scam artist. The first time I went in they suggested a new kind of contacts that allows the most oxygen to pass through... and yes it is a significant difference from the contacts I've had for years (if you compare the permeability of the old verses the new). They cost about $10 more a pack and I had a $100 contact fitting fee, which they assured me was customary for new clients. Then I had to go back in two weeks later (yesterday) to get my eyes looked at again to see if I was adjusting to the new contacts well. I didn't notice a difference between the new and the old... so this time she wrote me a perscription for an eye drop that I'd have to use twice a day. As well as giving me two new sets of the new contacts (yes-at least I got something for "free") and I have to come back in a month later to see how the drops and new contacts are doing. And... pay another doctor visit fee and she is convinced I need my eyes dilated b/c I haven't done it in a few years.

I always feel so helpless. The doctor suggests something and I just feel so unsure... can I trust her? Is this really worth it? Do I really need this? AHHHHHHHHHHH. I wanted to call my mom and ask her opinion. She always knew what I needed as a kid. Here I am 23 years old and married, and still needing my mom to go to the doctor with me.

So I go home and feel guilty. Am I spending money I don't have? well... yes, but is it for a good cause? AHHHHHHHH. I figure my eyes are always dry in the winter, I'll wait it out, and then in the summer I'll be fine. What should I do?

Somebody help me please. I have "decision making with doctors" syndrome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have the same problem...and i have tried every new kind of contact possible! i understand your frusteration. you know what i finally did? broke down and got GLASSES. i wear them all the time, and i really love them now. I just wear my contacts if I am running or working out.

niKnox said...

I'm trying to get used to the glasses thing... I just liked my contacts A LOT :)