Sunday, January 29, 2006

Getting Tired

Busy. Thats the word of our days lately. Hopefully it will not always remain this way, but I am thankful for things to be involved in, people to be spending time with. I would have pictures to show you... but our digital camera has been momentarily displaced and will hopefully return sometime this week :) Got to love husbands. haha (just kidding).

This last week I've been fighting a head cold. You know, those colds that aren't enough to keep you from your work but add just enough discomfort to the day to make you exhausted. So after my 1 hour and 15 minute commute by bus home, I ate dinner and went to bed. (that is, if I could). We had the most random thing happen to us this last week... as I was getting off the bus I met Kevin at Panera where he said he had bought some "friends" dinner. Of course, the instant he told me this on the cell phone I knew it was homeless people of some sort. One of my favorite things about Kevin is his generosity. He never thinks twice about helping those we pass in the streets in need... and we pass them nearly everyday. I am too anal and worried about money to give as freely as he can... so I praise God that he is not like me in that way and that his compassion is greater than his concern for wealth.

Anyways, back to the story. Basically, he met two people that had obviously been running away from home (from Arizona) and had run out of money. They were young, maybe in high school and had asked Kevin in the parking lot for bus money... and then when they realized he was willing to help they told their whole story. Their abusive step father had been drinking and had gone too far... they were out in LA, the place where everybody comes "to make it" and needed a place to stay and some food. We hooked them up with a local motel and thats when they introduced their blind uncle. He had been tagging along with them as well, but they didn't want to mention him earlier. As we drove them to the motel, the uncle started to get anxiety attacks from not having his medicine, so we then proceeded to drive them to a local emergency pharmacy place somewhere in LA... basically getting to spend a few hours with our new friends. It was an interesting night. We just hope they know God saw them that night and that He cares about them, and are glad that we could help that night.

Aside from that, we've had some tense discussions about money and then spent an entire 14 hours with this couple we've been hanging out with (another interiors person for the firm HOK and her husband). We went to the Getty Villa Museum (on opening day) then went back to their place to hang out, play games, and eat some more food. :)

Then Sunday came, today, and I'm tired. I'm helping with the Launch experience at Mosaic (that seminar like thing that helps empower people as God created them) this year so I had some meetings this morning with that.

Life is good. Its busy. :) I still miss all my Kansas people (and Missouri).

Bye bye for now... we are headed to a friends for a dinner of breakfast.

2 comments:

Marie said...

I am sorry you're sick, but that was one awesome story! I hope things work out for those guys. I'm glad you tried to help them out.

Marie said...

When are you and Kevin going to be back in Kansas again?