Tuesday, October 10, 2006

South Bay Sports



Well... here we all are. This is my Santa Monica soccer team that I've played on since January (ten whole months). Its basically a year round league, although there are three seasons, they follow each other so closely, you are lucky if you get one week off. We play every Sunday afternoon, 18 blocks from the Pacific Ocean.
Last season, we won the Championships. Aparently, its been awhile since they've won one... since they have been playing together for years... they said the last time they won was maybe five years ago. Wow. Well... all that matters is that they DID win. I play for a championship team, even if that means every five years :)
My team is so fun and so LA and thats why I wanted to blog about it. I wanted to tell you about my teammates. Lets see... one is an avid reptile fan- he raises them in his backyard and takes them to huge "reptile rallies" around the state/country to sell/display. No joke. Another's job is to test drive Jeeps and test their "rolling" ability... to see how much they roll in crashes. He says Jeeps suck and roll the most of any SUV. Good to know, I guess. Another guy has lived in LA his whole life and is a pool boy. No pun intended, or maybe one is, but this pool guy could cast perfectly for the next American Pie movie. Another guy, originally from France, had a dream to write a book about world soccer- and so thats what he did. He spent years, every cent he had, and traveled the world interviewing every soccer team on the globe... and published a book. He is working on his revision now, in French. One of the women works for a non-profit organization that raises money and awareness for autism. Their next fundraising event, this weekend, is a Hollywood Premiere screening of the movie "El Cortez" starring Lou Diamond Phillips, with a VIP party following that includes free food and drinks and meeting the actors. And lastly, another one of the guys, is studying acupuncture and recently sent out an email asking if anybody would volunteer to be his dummy so he could try out his new techniques. The ones I didn't mention, I just don't know enough about yet.
Some info about me on this team: I am the youngest, the only one married, the only one from Kansas, and the only one that the team likes to call by my full name "nikki knox". Not just "nikki", not just "knox"... they love my name and say it all, with a laugh. Maybe I should be concerned about this?
Last Sunday was the last game of this season, and we've won all of our games except one. I have to admit, I've had a crappy season. I am just not playing well- can't get my head into the game. I've been so frustrated and sorta embarrassed, that I've thought about quitting, but... this team is just too crazy and fun to leave. Last week I played much better- but I really think its because our opponents were a team of "bar dancers" (no kidding!) that decided to form a soccer team, and then pass out little flyers with glamor shots of them, inviting people to come out and support them, or come by the bar. So today I have bruises all over the arms and legs... I thought to myself "what do models know about soccer" and learned real quick- they know how to throw those elbows, thats for sure. My arms prove it. I got into a fiesty match with a few, but we pulled through with minor injuries :)

No comments: