Monday, October 30, 2006

Day of Remembrance

Three main things: college life, cabbage patch dolls, star crunches.

Sunday we had the usual Mosaic activities, and then afterwards Kevin and I headed down to Santa Monica to hang out with a group of college students from Pepperdine University (located in Malibu). We got Johhny's New York Pizza and then headed up to Malibu to get some coffee, play Apples to Apples, and visit the dorm/apartment of some of the students. It was so much fun to get to meet all of them... they were so friendly- inviting us in to their lives. I remembered how fun it was to be in college, to live with four women, and most importantly the way that "time" feels so different. This one is too hard for me to explain right now I think... lets just say I remembered nights that never have to end, friends that never have to leave, homework that always gets done even if you procrastinate.

On the way home we stopped by Target and I saw Cabbage Patch Dolls... I haven't seen those in years! I stopped in the aisle and walked over and said, "They still sell those?" and as I turned around another lady had stopped behind me, astonished as well. They even had hair made of yarn! I missed them so much I was tempted to buy one just for the sake of good memories... I remember in elementary school when my friends and I would hide them in our backpacks at school b/c we were embarrassed that we still played with dolls... yet we still loved them so much!
When I was 18 I worked at Cracker Barrel for a month or so (my typical length of employment for that time frame) and the kitchen staff used to call me "the cabbage patch girl" b/c my eyes are close together just like theirs. I hope they keep those dolls around at Target!

Lastly, Kevin and I found star crunch snacks! We used to eat thesein high school after lunch. I ate one star crunch EVERY DAY my junior year of high school until one day I suddenly got really grossed out (for reasons I still can't explain) and couldn't eat another one. We've been checking local grocery store isles for them recently so we were excited.

It was a great day.

1 comment:

jill m said...

yes to living with four other beautiful women! and cabbage patch dolls and faces :) as for the star crunch...you're on your own on that one :)