Friday, May 26, 2006

LA5

Wednesday lunch at In and Out Burger. The second time I've ever been there. I went with a friend, somebody I met on Monday. She flew in from Iowa for the Mosaic conference that we both attended. I was sad to see her go on Wednesday night.

In and Out was so busy... there was practically no place to stand and definitely nowhere to sit. As we waited for our orders to be completed, we were invited by two men to sit at their table. We were in an outgoing mood so we immediately sat and began to converse with our two new friends. Turns out they work for their own company... an older man named Will (I think) and his hired hand, Carlos. Will's introduction began like this, "I'm a devote heretic." I really think he said that to induce a certain reaction, as he could tell we in town for some sort of church conference b/c of our badges and b/c my Iowa friend had mentioned it. Andrea and I decided to playfully engage Will by asking him to clarify. At this point in time I don't remember his answer but he did give some dictionary sounded response. He said he was a religious scholar and to prove his wisdom began telling us about ourselves based on the year we were born and astrology stuff.

They were fascinated by me... saying that I was born split between two (constellations or something?) so parts of me are more rebellious while parts are calm. The latter being the reason I had two ear piercings, and former being my soft-spoken voice. They continued to stare at my quizzically as I tried, really, not to laugh. Not because I felt they were fools, but because of the looks on their faces. They ended their attempts to figure me out by saying I was very loyal due to the Chinese year of the dog. I admired their knowledge of astrology and Chinese stuff and would have loved to continue but our order came and we had to leave to get back for the next seminar like thing.

I really enjoyed our conversation. They gave me their card and said to call if I ever needed some sort of construction work done (knowing I worked in an architectural field). I really hope I do find a reason to converse with them again.

No comments: