Friday, May 12, 2006

Decisions

I have a lot of decisions to make this weekend. Actually its the several decisions that need to be made, but one that will in turn lead to several other decisions. I've had three interviews in the last two weeks and today I've had two job offers. It has the potential to change our life quite a bit.

First job opp- the "safer" option I feel like. Work in downtown LA (so I could take the subway to work, cutting my commute to 30 minutes each way instead of the over an hour that I have now) for a firm that focuses on interiors for commercial environments. (meaning office buildings) I'd start by helping another interiors lady (that seemed quite nice at the interview) with credit unions (bank design). I'd get great space planning experience although there is a possibility that after awhile it could get redundant (b/c credit unions are all somewhat the same although they fit into different size spaces.) They encourage my environmental design thing but aren't fully into that field yet although they may have a few projects interested in that. Oh yes- I'd make slightly less than I do now.

Second option- the "far more risky" option. Make a completely different career move into high end (very expensive) product design. This office is so LA its hard to describe. Fast-paced, figure it out as you go, may have extensive travel involved to China, Flordia and Italy if needed. Into developing new materials and products, specifically for condos and hotels. I'd start by working on a spa in Flordia, designing a lot of the furniture/products, etc. In a few months, if I'm doing well, they said they'd send me there to check it out and finish it. Only problem, at this job I'd have to face my greatest weakness- confidence. They need an assertive individual who commands respect from men. (yes they said that b/c this field is mostly male). I'd make a few thousand more than I do now... but would have to use that immediately to either move or invest in a comfortable vehicle b/c this job is near the beach (if we stayed in studio city, my drive would be closer to two hours on a bad traffic day- one way; hence the reason we'd move near the beach and pay a higher rent). Exciting and very intense. One downfall, environmental stuff is harder to apply in this field although it is possible that in the next few years it will be easier and more strongly encouraged to use it in product design as well.

I need to think. I have to let them both know on Monday. AHHHH the pressure.

1 comment:

jill m said...

ahh...i was so mad our conversation was cut short. darn phone batteries. what did you decide? we need to talk again!