Sunday, November 07, 2010

The "Sick" and the "Not-Sick"

I had to submit a rough draft of my thesis abstract last week. This is what I have for now:

Paul Cowen, journalist and author, described his 1987 encounter with leukemia as, “being exiled to the land of the sick.” He had, as we all do, unconsciously drawn a line between the sick and the not-sick. All of us, if we are fortunate enough to escape an accidental death, will have to face a chronic illness such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes or Alzheimer’s. All of us, whether we accept or deny it, will have to cross the threshold between the sick and non-sick as Cowen once did.

For my thesis, I will design conceptual objects and experiences that expose the cultural tension between the “sick” and “not-sick”. Inspired by the Critical Design practiced by Dunne and Raby, I will design prototypes that challenge the social and psychological behavior around these issues. I believe that design can bring complex social issues, such as cultural attitudes towards pain and sickness, to our attention. I believe that designers can be facilitators of change by boldly exploring questions that are typically ignored or overlooked by the market place.

My final project will include a series of prototype objects as well as the interviews and observations of those who volunteer to seriously engage with them. The ultimate purpose of this project is to spark empathy and compassion in the not-sick, or rather the “not yet sick”.

No comments: