Monday, May 10, 2010

modern dance

Occasionally I'll force myself to attend a modern dance performance. I'll find out about one either through a friend or an advertisement and I'll think "I should go because as a designer, this is an art form I should care more about." Or more honestly, "I should go because I want to be perceived as someone who cares about all art forms." And so I found myself, once again, sitting in a darkened theater, waiting for a performance to begin last Friday. The thick, traditionally red curtains drew back and twenty something dancers in pastel leotards began to rhythmically step onto the stage. I recognized one dancer, our friend, Chelsea - the one who had invited us to this particular performance - though the dancers are hard to identify due to their similarities in form, hair style, and makeup.

I quickly realized that this was not the normally boring modern dance performance. First of all, the movements struck me as odd, particularly in their abruptness. Graceful, precise movements were mixed with quick sharp energy - a sudden nod of the head or shrug of the shoulders, for example. Some movements were filled with resistance, as though they were fighting the temptation to transform into an R&B step expected from those such as Lady Gaga.

Secondly, the dancers touched each other, which I also found odd. Their movements were carefully choreographed to overlap - clasping hands, bending and twisting over one another. In other performances, I've noticed a sense of isolation between the dancers - though they may be together on the stage, they individually complete similar moves as one might expect from a field of robots. These dancers were dependent on each other - each part had to work perfectly together to complete the whole - but beyond that, they changed each other's movements and paths. I know the entire performance is planned, yet it almost seemed as though they got to choose what to do and had to change their choices based on what the others did.

Thirdly, I was able to notice themes of meaning with each set. Normally in modern dance, I pretend that I understand a deeper meaning - as though some movements represent sadness while others joy. This time I didn't have to pretend or imagine - they communicated their message clearly with the music tempo, type, title, and selected movements. I felt as though I understood - which in my previous modern dance experience is rare.

A breath of fresh air full of meaning and depth, this modern dance performance was surprising and inspiring. Either this dance company is brilliant or I am finally "old" enough or "cultured" enough to get it. I'll conclude that San Francisco's Lines Ballet is truly brilliant.

No comments: