Thursday, December 13, 2007

Movie Support

Last weekend a small group of us went to see the movie The Golden Compass. We haven't heard too much about it here in the SF area - except in reference to it's graphics or sci-fi/fantasy genre (which many, many SF people are seriously into). However, when I called a few friends back in Kansas, they mentioned a lot of controversy around the film - and some even questioned my "support" of a film such as this. To be clear, I am not bothered at all by these questions. I find skepticism and questioning to be healthy and even enjoyable. So I respond in this post not out of a need to defend myself - but out of a playful desire to engage in even more meaningful dialogue.

I liked the movie. In fact, the themes it introduced I find extremely important and worth fighting for. Themes such as freedom - the right to think and live. Themes such as souls - what shapes them, when are they shaped, what do they look like? Themes such as good and evil - is it the means or the ends that defines which side you are on?

I am proud to "support" our freedom to think and even to disagree. The minute we stop "supporting" those who disagree with us is the moment we kill the very thing we are trying to protect - life.

I support humanity. I support freedom. I support thinking. And if it leads to conclusions I don't like - I'll be patient - and hear the other human being out. Will you?

3 comments:

annaO said...

Nikki--

I totally agree. Justin and I went to see the movie last night. I've heard the "controversy" that seeing this movie will make kids atheists or hate God or whatever. Well, people should question their faith, especially kids, then when they realize what they truly believe, it will be there own.

Conversely, I did not like the movie at all. I've read all three books, and although Justin and I agree Philip Pullman has serious God issues, I liked them and the movie didn't compare AT ALL.

kevin knox said...

i love your thoughts, babe. and i agree.

what is freedom? if we weren't so concerned with isolating ourselves from people and ideas that are different than our own, would our perspectives be different? better?

niKnox said...

I heard that people who read the books really didn't like it. One girl with us said they left off the ending of the book completely! Since I've never read the books, I couldn't tell what was wrong or off. I did like the soul thing though - that was the most interesting part to me!